HONG KONG: The Gateway to Asia
HONG KONG: The Gateway to Asia
October 29 - November 6 2018
Journey around Hong Kong photographing grand vistas, beautiful sunsets, breathtaking sunrises and the hustle & bustle of the jewel of Asia. In-between, we will work on training you to process your images in Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom so you can show off the best vacation photos.
Covering everything from shooting with your camera to the complete processing workflow, this workshop is an opportunity to develop your skills and reach the next level. It is intended for people of all levels of interest and accomplishment in film or digital photography. While the emphasis will be on photography, this is also a cultural journey, which we believe will enhance your ability to capture the essence of Hong Kong in your images.
From the bustling street markets, cosmopolitan metropolis and all the way up to the lookout on Victoria Peak, Hong Kong offers a very distinct journey into architecture, east meets west and religious retreats. Join us as we explore a city entrenched in Chinese tradition, grown on colonial influence and now shining as a jewel of modern China. Prepare to be dazzled by a breathtaking symphony of lights in cosmopolitan Hong Kong.
A former British colony perched on the edge of mainland China, Hong Kong is a fascinating city of contrasts – a place where East meets West; where the modern blends with the traditional where shiny skyscrapers stand next to narrow alleys crammed with traditional vendors stalls; where new technology flourishes alongside ancient Chinese customs. With its glorious harbor, excellent shopping, renowned restaurants, and some of the best skylines in the world, Hong Kong has it all.
PHOTOGRAPHY GUIDANCE & TUTORIALS
Photos We Love . . . and Why
Train your eyes to look for photos that tell a story — pictures that go beyond “just pretty” to become powerful images. Explore how photography styles change to reflect the evolving world, and what makes certain photos leave a lasting impression.
Making Great Pictures: Methods and Tips for Photography
Get a behind-the-scenes look at how amazing photos are madenot taken. Learn how to build pictures from the ground up by knowing how to explore a place visually, how to find the perfect lighting, and how to anticipate a great moment. Discover why the “decisive moment” is such a powerful photographic concept, and how to get both the great views and the telling close-ups. Key points on composition will be discussed as well as how to blend in and get access.
Our Passion for Places: Telling the Tale in Pictures
Learn how to prepare yourself for your own photographic adventures by doing research about the local culture and landscape before you go. Understanding the power of photographic style coupled with strong content will make your photos tell the story of the places you’ve traveled.
Bring Your Landscapes to Life & Photographing People
We’ll show how photographers bring landscapes to life with drama, flair — and great light. Photographing people and telling their story can be intimidating once you get up close. Learn how to capture their character and the special moments in their lives while making it a rewarding experience for both of you.
Connect with a Culture
Build travel pictures that explore the culture of a place, whether it’s by savoring food and wine, exploring history and architecture, relishing the arts and folkways, or recognizing the magical moments of everyday life.
Sharing Your Pictures the Digital Way
Use your photography to make friends, build understanding, and share your passion for the world — digitally. We’ll discuss photo-sharing sites (and how to create your own), printing your photographs for display, creating your own cards and calendars, producing self-published books, presenting your photos to an audience, finding local galleries and venues, and perhaps even getting published in a travel magazine.
Hong Kong: A Visual Journey delivers on-location, hands-on learning for photographers looking to maximize their travel photography including:
- Camera fundamentals
- Equipment selection, shakedown and testing
- Landscape & architectural instruction
- Street & candid photography techniques
- Cultural documentation & experiences
- Post processing techniques and complete workflow
8-day Workshop Fee Includes
- Professional instructor and certified assistant guides
- Photography instruction, tutorials & post processing sessions
- Daily portfolio review and Q&A session
- Hotels (based on double occupancy, single rooms subject to fees & availability)
- Connecting transport to & from airport to hotel
- Octopus SMART Card
- 8-day Tourist SIM Card with 5GB data
- Entrance & Admissions for attractions and venue
Participants are responsible for
- Flights to/from Hong Kong International Airport (we will recommend flights from your preferred departure point)
- Bringing their own camera equipment and camera supports. We will provide a list of recommended accessories based on your current equipment and experience level
- Appropriate health & travel insurance
- Meals, snacks and beverage expenses beyond breakfast and pre-scheduled group dinners
- Reloading their Octopus SMART card for daily travel (generally $100HKD/day) and personal expenses